Monday, June 28, 2010

A Failed Attempt At Faith

Today was a rather interesting day.  I went to work and got sent home due to weather and the fact that I will likely have to go to work on my normal day off to shoot a commercial.  Yup thats right, I get to be in a commercial for my work.  It's pretty cool.  Hopefully I will be able to get a copy to share with everyone at some point.

Anyway, I made plans with a few people at work to go rock climbing at the indoor rock climbing gym.  It was a lot of fun, but man, I am incredibly out of shape.  Anyway, I met two older coworkers there (ones 23, the other 26).  They were pretty good at climbing and I consider them my adventurous friends.  They are those friends that are great people but not Christians.  After dinner we decided to go to dinner at a local "pub" that yet another coworker works at.  Yup thats right, I saw more coworkers outside of work today than I did at work.  Theres something wrong with that picture.

Really weird thing.  I actually had thought earlier in the day if I would ever have a chance to share my faith with some of my non-Christians friends, and if I had the chance would I step up to the challenge.  Crazy huh? Who thinks about that.  Well guess what happened during dinner?  Yup you guessed it I had the chance.  But even better, I was up to the challenge... sorta.

I don't even know how it happened but we got on the topic of evolution.  Both my friends started arguing for evolution (macro) and bashing (mildly) creationism.  I decided that I was going to safely, show my faith and argue against evolution.  I didn't say that I believed in creationism, I only said that I didn't see how evolution really made that much sense.  So he tried using an example of how we came from fish and pointed to some similarities and things.  I started to try to argue against evolution.  (See how I was safely showing my faith?  I never said what I believed, and I never mentioned Christianity or God at all, I may have but we didn't really get that far because of a distraction -- perhaps God pulling me out of a losing fight.  By the way... I do not promote the 'safe' faith showing.  I do not think we are called as Christians to play it safe.  Jesus never played it safe.  He died for complete strangers that killed him)  But man... I just sounded like an idiot.  I don't know what happened but nothing I said seemed to make any sense and even fueled their belief in evolution.  It was terrible.  Here I was trying to take a small stand against evolution and I was actually proving myself wrong?  I was losing the argument I started.  The only thing I can hope to have accomplished is them thinking that evolution could be wrong but thats a stretch.  I just sounded like a fool that was ignorant and didn't know what he was talking about.  So yea, that was a pretty big fail on my part. :/

I guess I really need to research more on evolution.  This is what I found after a quick search its pretty cool but doesn't quite explain what I want. http://www.layhands.com/EvidenceAgainstEvolution.htm

Anyone who has some good evidence that supports creationism and goes against evolution I might be able to use the help.  I rather not sound like a fool when trying to defend the ways of God.  Thanks guys, sorry for this  failure.  I may have more chances to redeem myself before the end of summer.  Pray for me.

Your friend, brother and companion in Christ,
-Zachary Haas

2 comments:

  1. Though evolution is something which I disagree with, it seems it can often be more of a stumbling block in a conversation than anything else. After all, you'll never be able to change people (only the Holy Spirit does that, and He deserves the credit. You are only the vessel - Daniel before Nebuchadnezzar is a perfect example).

    There are certain things that are more important, such as the Gospel of Christ, and Him crucified and risen. I guarantee you, if you equip yourself and are available, God will use you. Researching evolution is one way to equip yourself, and also reading and memorizing Scripture is another.

    1st Corinthians 2:1-5 - perfect for this story
    Romans 1:16 - good too
    Romans 10:17 - shows the importance of using Scripture in talking to people

    I've really enjoyed your blog Zach, keep it up! Faithfulness has its reward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I suppose the issue wasn't trying to change them. Neither was winning the argument. It just seemed like having a valid argument would have been nice. Instead, I just seemed like a fool proving my point more wrong when speaking. There are of course more important issues that evolution, but its definitely a great key into bigger topics. If I come off as unintelligent with failed arguments any other points will be discredited. The battle with evolution was not mine to be one yesterday.

    ReplyDelete